win a winter getaway!

Download our app for iPhone and iPad

This app is your personal visitor's guide to Ontario's Highlands, whether you are planning your vacation or are already here.

Learn More »

International Travel



Canadian Funds

While visiting Ontario’s Highlands, we recommend using Canadian Dollars (CAD). While many local stores will accept U.S. currency, the exchange rate may vary greatly and oftentimes will be higher than the exchange rate offered by a bank or trust company. There are many banks or trust companies located in the region’s cities and towns where you can exchange your currency for Canadian funds, and vice versa.

Traveller’s Cheques

Traveller’s cheques are a great option for those on vacation since they can be replaced if they are lost or stolen. You can treat them just like cash when making purchases at stores and retailers and any remaining travellers’ cheques can be converted back into cash at a bank or trust company.

Rules of the Road

Speed Limits

While driving in Ontario, you’ll notice that speed limits are stated in kilometres* per hour. The maximum speed varies according to whether you are driving on a highway, road, in a residential area, or near schools or playgrounds. In general, maximum speed limits are as follows:

Type of Road Speed Limit
400-series highways 100 kms/hr (62 miles/hr)
Provincial highways and major paved roads 80 kms/hr (50 miles/hr)
Local town and city roads 50 kms/hr (30 miles/hr)

* 1 kilometre = 0.6 of a mile (approximate)

Fuel Prices

At the pump, fuel prices are sold by the litre*. Prices vary by gas station and throughout the region.
* 1 litre = 0.26 of a gallon (approximate)


It is required by law for all drivers and passengers to wear a seatbelt at all times while a vehicle is in motion. Child seats are needed for children weighing less than 18 kilograms, or 40 pounds. If you are riding a motorcycle you will need to wear a helmet. Note that radar detectors are prohibited in Ontario.

Crossing the Border

Border Crossing Locations

There are 14 land border crossings from the United States into Ontario. These include:

Canada Border US Border
Fort Frances International Falls
Pigeon River Grand Portage
Sault St. Marie Sault St. Marie
Sarnia Port Huron
Windsor (2) Detroit
Cornwall Rooseveltown
Prescott Ogdensburg Bridge
Lansdowne Alexandria Bay
Fort Erie Buffalo
Niagara Falls (3) Niagara Falls – Lewiston
Rainy River Baudette

Identification Required

American visitors age 16 and older will need a passport or other travel document approved by the Department of Homeland Security to cross land borders. Any traveller under the age of 16 may cross using a birth certificate or other proof of U.S. citizenship. If you are travelling with children, it’s recommended to carry identification for each child.

Border Wait Times

Border wait times are updated every hour. Visit the Canada Border Services Agency website for current wait times or phone 1-506-636-5064.

Personal Items and Agricultural Products

As a visitor to Ontario who is a non-resident of Canada, you are allowed to bring along personal baggage and items such as clothing, camping and sports equipment, cameras, and personal computers in an amount that is reasonably acceptable for your length of stay. Alcohol and tobacco products are subject to limitation – visit the Canada Border Services Agency website for more information.

All food, plant, and animal products must be declared.


Here is a listing of Canadian holidays :

Date Holiday
January 1 New Year’s Day
Third Monday in February Family Day
Friday before Easter Sunday Good Friday
Monday after Easter Sunday Easter Monday *government only
May 24 (or closest prior Monday) Victoria Day
July 1 Canada Day
August (1st Monday) Civic Holiday *not an official statutory holiday
September (1st Monday) Labour Day
October (2nd Monday) Thanksgiving
November 11 Remembrance Day *banks and government only
December 25 Christmas Day
December 26 Boxing Day


New Server